Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Our DIY First Birthday Party plus Bubble Party Ideas!

My son just celebrated his first birthday. And we had ourselves a DIY party! Let me show you how to plan a DIY party.

I was initially planning on having his birthday in another private pool just like his christening but I opted to be more practical.  I read somewhere that it's easier to plan a party if you have a definite theme, so I browsed the net to get my creative juices flowing.

I wanted to stay away from the overrated Safari or Cartoon-related themes. I wanted something  original and simple too. I opted for the Bubble Party Theme. 



Spongebob, Patrick and Squidward

The cake doesn't exactly  match the theme but it was the nearest one from the local neighborhood baker's selection.


See the Balloons taped to the walls!
I was planning to hang clear balloons from the ceiling but I was afraid I'd ruin the paint and besides, I couldn't find clear ones. So I just bought these in assorted color, pre-printed with Happy Birthday. The cost, Php55.55 (just an estimate, I forgot the exact amount)



Party Loot in a Cup!

For the loot bags, I bought bubble gums, bubble pops, bubble solutions  (Php10 each from the market), and put them in paper cups (Php50/10 pcs).

I was trying to find plastic balloons (You remember those do you?) but couldn't find them in any big supermarkets. I also didn't have the time to go to quiapo or divisoria just for that. But, for those who may want to find these childhood playthings, you can find them at JC Supermarket in Kamuning.


Jimmy isn't my son's name :)
Here's a tip for the bubble solutions: Personalize them by printing out your own labels and cover the original one. Put tape all over your label to prevent it from getting wet.
You can also make your own bubble solution using a dishwashing soap, water and some glycerin.

 For the blowing tools, borrow some cookie cutters, funnels and other cooking implements from your kitchen! 




 For an added touch, I had my son's pictures from birth till present printed out in 2R. I placed it in one corner for the gifts. And put up another batch by the food table. I wanted our guests to see how my son has developed over the months.



Picture Wall




I was never a fan of giveways, birthdays or otherwise, that serve no other purpose besides being another decor so I naturally stayed away from that. Instead I decided to just print out a Thank You note and place it beside the loot bags.



Our  printed out Thank You note



For the food, in keeping with the theme, we had Spaghetti with meatballs, Puto and Dinuguan, Corndogs and  Chicken Lollipops. 

You can also serve fishballs, melon balls, mango balls, donut holes (like smidgets etc.)




Have you had your own DIY party? What theme did you explore? I would love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet! I would love to hear what you think! :)