Saturday, November 12, 2011

La Verenna Resort Review

You may remember that a few months back, I posted a blog about having a party for less than 15K. We'll we did it! I'll post a more detailed post about it later, for now, I'd like to share my review on the venue that we found.

In my Extra-Challenge: The >15K Party PART 1 (Venue Hunting) post, I offered 4 budget private pool options that's good for 30-50 pax. In the end, we opted for another one, the La Verenna Resort.

La Verenna Resort is located at B. Mariano st., Sta.Ana, San Mateo, Rizal, owned and operated by Gil and Gilda Welan.  The location itself wasn't hard to find. They've provided a map in their Multiply site. All you need to have is a basic sense of direction and you won't find yourself getting lost. Although a non-issue, I think you should know that it is very near, approximately 10-20 meters away, the public cemetary. You might find this information useful in the future. 

It is an enclosed compound with a modest parking area that can fit up to 6 cars. It has a number of huts so your guests can relax and spend time with old friends, while the pools and the gazebo provide venues to mingle with the other guests.

They have two pools: one kidde pool and a much bigger pool.

My daughter enjoying the kiddie pool





Relaxing in one of the many huts

There's one gazebo and one pavilion. We initially prepped the smaller one, the gazebo, for the food, but moved eventually to the pavilion. The roofs were made from G.I. sheets without any ceiling, so it was very hot in there. It was a sweltering May day and not a breeze was blowing. Perfect for swimming, you might say, but the heat from the sheets made my head hurt. It would have helped if the put it some sort of a buffer to filter the heat. 
Add caption

We rented the place for a whole day. For Php7,000, I thought it was better than throwing away more than that for a fastfood birthday bash that's going to last only an hour or two. The 7k rate was already good for 50 pax, inclusive of all the native huts, the gazebo, pavilion, videoke and the tables and chairs.

Mr. Gil very kindly gave me a copy of their rates.

Venue Fee
Daytime: 8am - 5pm        7,000 - 50 pax max        8,000 - 70 pax max       10,000 - 90 pax max *per hour extension - Php800
Overnight:  7pm - 6am
        8,000 - 50 pax max        9,000 - 70 pax max       12,000 - 100 pax max *per hour extension - Php700
Prices are inclusive of all open cottages, pavilion, gazebo and videoke
Electricity Charges
Electric Fan                - Php100Radio/Stereo              - Php100Rice Cooker               -Php 200Griller/Electric Stove   -Php 250Television Set              -Php150laptop                         - Php 100Water Hot/Cold Dispenser - Php 250Ice Cream Maker        - Php500
Corkage Fees:
Catering Corkage Fee           - Php1000/100paxMobile                                  -Php500Band                                     -Php1,500Video Cam                            -Php 300Monoblock Chairs                 -Php1.00/chairMonoblock Tables                 -Php5.00/table
Other Facilities:
Billiards                           -Php70/hourAircon Rooms                 -Php1,000/5hours





They require a 50% downpayment for reservations. They also offer special prices for occasions such as weddings, debut, seminars, etc. Plus catering services, floral arrangement, chairs/tables supplies and other party needs.

La Verenna has two houseboys on call which will tend to the gate in case anyone needs to go out or come in. They keep themselves unobtrusive, occupying the furthermost hut.

When we arrived around 9 am to set the place up, they were in the process of the cleaning the pool for our use. By 12nn, everything was ready.

The videoke, which is part of the package wasn't set up when we arrived. Good thing that my dad asked about the videoke or I would have forgotten about it.

The owner himself was there that morning but left shortly after. I'm glad he did. It would be very uncomfortable to have someone keeping an eagle's eye to our every move. And he's not very polite either. 

When my brother took a dip in the pool in his pants, he angrily told him to lose the pants, when he could've said this is a more congenial way. Politely referring to their rules and regulations. He was also barking orders at his houseboys as if they were too incompetent to understand a request. 


The owner went back in the afternoon to check on us I suppose, to make sure that we leave at the right time, lest we pay for the extension.

When I saw him standing near the gazebo, I said hello, and told him that I'll be paying my balance. He did not sya a word. So I went to my bag and got my money, and walked up to him again. I said " Magbabayad na po ako." He looked at me and said nothing. So I repeated what I said and reached for the money tucked in my jean pocket, and he said "Oo nga." So much for public relations, huh?

All in all, although I think my Php7000 was well spent on the venue and for the fun that the kids had, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. I think the miscellenous fees they impose is too high and also,
 for the simple reason that the owner needs to learn some manners, not only towards his customers, but also to his househelp.

For my son's first birthday, I'll looking for a new venue.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thank you for your review. We would like you to know that we're exerting more effort to make your stay in our resort as relaxed and hassle-free as possible. We are very sorry for your unpleasant stay, you might have been there at the wrong time. Again, thank you! I hope you'll consider going back to our resort. - Owner

    ReplyDelete

Sweet! I would love to hear what you think! :)