Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Got milk? notes from a *new* nursing mom



My baby is now three weeks old and is exclusively breasfed. I’m a nursing mom!

Last Saturday though, I had a panic attack and asked for a prescription for a formula milk. From four am until nine in the morning that day, my milk has dried up. My baby was hoarse from crying and falls asleep only from exhaustion. Everytime I let him nurse, I would let my breast go and looked like he would throw up for sucking nothing. I pitied him so much that I went to a pedia to ask for a good formula milk.

We got to the clinic at around 9:30 in the morning and had to wait for an hour for the pedia. She was thirty minutes late her clinic hours. By the time she got there, I’ve got milk already!!! And eversince, the milk floweth. Now, I feel satisfaction whenever I hear my baby gulp down his milk and I see milk overflowing from his little babe mouth, trickling down his chin.

We still bought a small pack of formula milk, (which has remained unopened). I know, a mortal sin for all those starting to breastfeed. We also bought a breastpump to aid in stimulating milk production.

******

I now understand why the first few hours and days are the most crucial to any mom starting to breastfeed. I nearly quit within thefirst 24 hours because I thought I was starving my two day old baby. I almost quit because of my sore nipple and the fear of “wearing out” my other nipple. And last Saturday I almost quit because my milk “dried up”.

That first 24 hours of breastfeeding, we were still in the hospital. Nurses were coming and going round the clock. The were always asking whether the baby has pooped or peed, and how many times if so. I always tell them the same thing, the baby pooped only once and it wasn’t much. They all just nod their heads as if it’s the most natural thing. So I guess that’s ok.

When the pedia came in the next day, I asked her what I should do because I think I don’t have enough milk. I was hinting on a formula recommendation, but didn’t receive any. All said was, “That’s ok. It’ll increase over time, as his demand increases

After a few days, when I have gotten used to the sleepless nights, I read in Babymama.ph that a sign that baby is feeding well is the yellow, seedy poop which is exactly what my baby has! Alright! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet! I would love to hear what you think! :)