Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cephalopelvic Disproportion

For the second time, I gave birth via Caesarian Section. My doctor says I have a medical condition called CPD or Cephalopelvic Disproportion. This was diagnosed the first time last 2004.

Back then we were gearing for a normal delivery. A week before my scheduled induction, I was only 1 cm dilated. It stayed that way until the date of my induction. During those hours that I was IVed and being induced, there was no sign of visible labor. My tummy wasn’t aching at all, although the baby is pretty active inside me. I was in the Labor Room for a good 24 hours without any progress. All around me, mothers in various stages in labor and making all kinds of noises because of the pain. I was wondering when I’ll experience that kind of backbreaking pain they were all going through. I watched them being wheeled in and out of the Labor Room.

After 12 hours of induction and zero progress in the dilaation department, my OB IEd me and twisted her fingers to force open my cervix. I was officially 2 cm dialted after that. But that’s it.

They sent me back to my room after 24 hours of induction to let the baby rest. Apparently, the induction can only be done for 24 hours. After that, the baby is at risk of suffering from fetal distress. At around 6am the following morning, I was again wheeled into the Labor Room for another go at induction.

At around 10 in the morning, the resident doctors decided to call in my OB and had me set-up for an emergency CS. The baby’s heartbeat has been on-and-off in their monitors.
The baby came out ok, she just changed positions.

This time, my OB advised that we do a repeat CS since a trial normal delivery has already been done before to no avail.

So what is CPD?

Cephalopelvic Disproportion is a condition where the baby’s head is bigger than mom’s pelvis. True CPD is rare, but accounts of “failure to progress” is also diagnosed as CPD. (This is my case, in my two pregnancies, I’ve never known labor pains)

What causes CPD?

It can be caused by:
- a large baby due to hereditary factors, diabetes, postmaturity or mulitparity
- abnormal fetal position
- small pelvis
- abnormally shaped pelvis

Does this mean that once diagnosed with CPD, women can only give birth through CS? No. Although it would be more convenient to just schedule a caesarean section, those diagnosed with CPD during prior pregnancies can still undergo VBAC (vaginal birth after caesarean section). Citing a study by the American Journal of Public Health, “over 65 % of women who had been diagnosed with CPD in previous pregnancies, were able to deliver vaginally in subsequent pregnancies.”

In my case, maybe I can still give birth vaginally the next time. IF ever we decide to have another baby. IF.

2 comments:

  1. You pregnant the time na nagkita tayo? Hindi ko napansin... God Bless your baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, minnie! oo preggy ako nun pero hindi pa gaanong halata. anong buwan nga ba tayo nagmeet? October? maliit lang kasi ang tiyan ko this second pregnancy. :D

    ReplyDelete

Sweet! I would love to hear what you think! :)